Friday, October 01, 2010

Hi all - I'm at the Vegas airport with my photographer, Brandon Bingham. This is the first chance I've had to blog because all cell phone and computer use was blocked at NTC. I can tell all of you, the soldiers are doing very well in training. Some of the trainers say it's the best they've seen. So, you should all be very proud.

It is hot - very hot. The training is exhaustive. And it's getting worse, starting today. They are moving from the "lanes," which are pre-planned exercises to constant, all out war simulation.

The thing the soldiers miss most, besides their families, are their computers and cell phones. I've heard they will get them back when they're done with training in CA. And to answer the question about leave, yes, most soldiers will get a four day leave within a 150 mile radius of their final camp. However, I'm told some soldiers will depart directly from the NTC.

I have an entirely new appreciation for what our men and women in uniform sacrifice - as well as their families. My photographer and I were dead tired at the end of the 17 hour days - and we we were just covering the training exercises, not participating. You should all be proud! Your loved ones miss you and say hello.

Look for more reports next week.

Thanks - Sonya

2 comments:

. said...

I look forward to reading more of your posts. I try to catch the 10pm news every night to see if you will have any shots from CA. My boyfriend is there right now and it's nice to have some sort of update in these weeks where they have no communication to their loved ones. Thank you

ArmyGirl87 said...

I have been watching the reports on the news waiting to see people from my company in C MED 334 BSB :-) My husband is also there in HHC with the 334th. Looking forward to more reports! Thanks for covering our heros!!